Travel tips

12 BEST TRAVEL APPS….(THAT YOU’LL ACTUALLY USE)

Recently, I deleted many travel apps from my phone. Many were useful. They helped me  research unknown places, listen to audio tours and improve the quality of my travel pictures. But travel is about tapping new destinations, not a mobile screen, so I decided to go on an app purge.

There are hundreds of travel applications all over Android and Apple nowadays- and this is a problem because most of them are crappy and useless. Finding out useful ones that are worth installing isn’t a fun activity at all, and no one really wants to pay for a useless app. If you’re going on a trip soon, instead of wasting your time downloading apps you really don’t need, start with these ten awesome travel apps instead.

1) Google translate

googletranslate-1jawf0a

Google Translate allows users to type in short sentences and translate them from one language to another. Several updates have been taking place to the app where now visual and audio translation is available as well. Don’t understand a thing from that food menu? You can now take a picture and the app will translate it to the language you understand.

2) XE Currency

xecureency

XE Currency’s amazing currency conversion application is everything you’ll need when you need to find out prices or exchange rates when you’re travelling. The application supports every national currency worldwide, with the ability to track ten. Rates are updated regularly and the best thing I found about the app is that it stores the rates of currencies you’ve searched for. This means that you can still access them if you’re offline or away from Wi-Fi.

3) Tripit

tripit

Similar to a pocket travel agent, Tripit collects all your travel information and saves it in one place. You know how your flights, hotels, rentals, event bookings, etc are all saved in different places or you have many copies printed out? You really don’t have to worry about this anymore because you can even forward your itinerary and the app will remind you. All you have to do is forward your e-mails or plans to the app and it will organise it all. Also, if you’re travelling with other people, you can easily share plans with each other which makes it a great app for coordinating group trips. Finally, you can share your travel plans on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

4) Maps.me

maps-me

Unlike Google maps, you can actually use maps.me offline and it works perfectly! You don’t have to worry about having wi-fi anymore to get to your destination, but you need to download the city’s map when you have internet before you head out. Not only will maps.me help you in navigation, but it also includes all the possible sightseeing attractions, practical spots like pharmacies, and public transit spots.

5) Mint

mint

If you’re horrible with finances like me, then Mint is your best option. With Mint, you can easily track and organise your finances abroad, monitor your travel budget, and track expenses throughout your trip. It is completely safe as well because it is a ‘’read only’’ service, which means that you won’t be able to move funds between accounts, and neither can anyone else.

6) Foodspotting

foodspotting

Fancy the best goulash in Budapest? Paellas on Barcelona’s streets? This app is going to help you satisfy any craving you have while travelling and try the best local food.  You can also search through user and expert reviews to find the most recommended dishes. I found the best thing about this app is that it focuses on dishes, instead of restaurants, which is great for exploring the real taste of a destination.

7) World around me (WAM)

world-around-me-app

The ultimate travel application, WAM was rated as the top Traveler application by National Geographic Traveler. You hold your phone at eye level, point it at your surroundings and choose what you’re looking for- ATMs, pharmacies, restaurants, sights, etc and the app uses augmented reality technology to find it. You then tap the place to see all details like opening hours, contact details, how to get there, WiFi availability, accept credit cards, etc. You can also vary the distance from 50 km to 100 meters, depending on how far you’re willing to venture. Whether it is a gym in France, a synagogue in Germany, or a restaurant in Kenya, all you have to do is WAM is.

8) Skyscanner

skyscanner

This clean-looking app does everything you need it to, collecting fares from airlines and the best travel websites to get you the best deal. There is also the choice to pin your search to the start screen and keep an eye on any price changes. I know there are many other similar apps but I have found Skyscanner to be the best.

9) Wi-Fi Finder

wifi-finder2

If you’re one of those people who first ask about the wi-fi password before they even check into a hotel/hostel, then this app is for you. With data roaming charges insanely high in many places, knowing where to find wi-fi hotspot is important. There is no need to charge through the place waving your phone like a crazy person, though- simply download this app and follow directions to the nearest wireless internet source. The offline mode allows you to download maps before you go out.

10) Rome2rio

rome2rio

Rome2rio shows you how you can get anywhere by any type of transportation mode available (plane, train, car, bus, ferry, etc). It shows you all your transportation choices, how long it will take, and even links to websites where you can book your transportation. Have no idea how you can travel from Bratislava in Slovakia to Gdynia, Poland? Rome2Rio knows.

11) PackPoint

packpoint

No matter how much we travel, we have all wasted time by writing the exact packing list, only to forget something really important. Pack Point saves you all the hassle by asking you a couple of questions about your trip, and then generating a list of items you need based on where travel, we all have managed to waste time by writing up the same exact packing list many times before only to forget a toothbrush or socks. Pack Point takes the time and guesswork out of all of that. After asking you a few simple questions about your trip, the app will generate a packing list for you based on the time of year you’re going, what activities you plan on doing, and where you’re headed. Honestly, it couldn’t be easier and forgotten socks will be a thing of the past. and when you’re going. It also gives suggestions based on suggestions you’re planning on doing.

12) Uber

Uber Technologies Inc. signage stands inside the company's office prior to Senator Marco Rubio, a Republican from Florida, speaking in Washington, D.C., U.S., on Monday, March 24, 2014. Rubio addressed the need to adapt antiquated government regulations to increase economic opportunities for the 21st century and outdated regulations limit consumer choice. Photographer: Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images

Love or hate the company, this application is your hero in disguise on rainy days and late night when public transportation is not available and there are no cabs in sight.

Free, Available on Android and iOS

What are the best travel applications you’ve used?

You Might Also Like

55 Comments

Bea
    October 10, 2016 at 7:04 am

I have some of the apps here like the Google Translate, maps.me and skyscanner. They are very useful! I’m eyeing the mint, foodspotting and packpoint. I’ll download this for my upcoming trip to Bangkok on December

Teresa Dumadag
    October 10, 2016 at 9:08 am

These are helpful apps indeed! Thanks for sharing about them. I have not tried most of them yet. Will check them out.

The Side Hustle Stories
    October 10, 2016 at 7:40 pm

ouuu… I’ve never tried Tripit before! But as someone who LOVES to plan trips I definitely will in the future. I’m also really interested in trying maps.me because man oh man do I get lost (like ALL THE TIME!). And I like that it will also show you nearby sights so you don’t just walk by something cool and interesting, score! Overall this is a really handy little list of travel apps and I’ll be sure to check back before my next trip to make sure I’ve got them all 🙂

ROBERT LEE
    October 11, 2016 at 7:18 am

For me, my travel essentials are and this is on the assumption I have bought local sim card with data connection: Google Maps. It is all I need to have for finding direction. Next is a copy of the local subway/metro map. I have only been to urban cities where the metro is the main mode of transportation. I think those are the two essentials for me.

Rej
    October 11, 2016 at 10:14 am

This is a nice round-up of apps one can use during travel! But I swear, just having internet and Google really makes everything better. I hope a lot of app developers can create offline apps for travelling. That way, having internet connection won’t be required to utilize it to the fullest. 🙂

Carola
    October 11, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I love travel apps. And it’s always a great thing to learn about new ones. I recently went to Poland and I mainly used Tripadvisor. And in preparation I used Duolingo as well. These are my favorites. Mint sounds like a good one. Never heard of it before. But I could use it!

Chardy Baldyosa
    October 11, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I’ve always been on a love-hate relationship with my travel apps. I keep on downloading apps that seem amazing on reviews and recommendations and suddenly making me feel bad about trying it. The list you made, contained all the apps that I have never deleted. Some are new and hey, I” trying them out later on too. 🙂

Dominic Barrios
    October 12, 2016 at 8:41 am

These are pretty handy mobile apps for travelling. Some of these, I haven’t heard yet and some I’ve already downloaded before. The maps.me is pretty handy here in our country where internet sucks and this will help me get to where I want to go. The google translate though is a bit doubtful. I tried that before and some locals didn’t even understand me. I’m not sure if the app got it right or they didn’t understand what the app says. Pretty much a hit and miss. But that was years ago. I hope it’s updated already.

Gryselle Mae
    October 12, 2016 at 4:45 pm

I have downloaded a lot of apps for traveling as well. I have a currency exchange app. I also have Trip It. And instead of Skyscanner, I use Cheap Flights. 🙂

Hamed El Moussalli
    October 14, 2016 at 11:23 am

Thanks for letting me know about #11, I always forget stuff.

Brianna
    October 15, 2016 at 11:09 am

Ha! I just published a similar post about travel apps, and we only have two in common! I’m definitely going to check out some of these apps for my next trip. I also really appreciate that all your suggestions are for free apps. I hate the idea of having to pay for apps that may not work how I want them to!

Tamara - @ Girlswanderlust
    October 15, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Very useful! I already know some of them, like Skyscanner and Google Translate (those are incredibly useful). I’m definitely going to try out maps.me and Foodspotting since I don’t know them yet and find those very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

Danielle
    October 15, 2016 at 1:56 pm

I use almost all of these! Fun fact about Google Maps, though: If you search for a location while still connected to WiFi and then type in “OK Maps,” it will save that map for offline use.

Joanna
    October 15, 2016 at 5:35 pm

I have never heard of Tripit before but I am definitely downloading it just now. I usually carry a folder with papers with me and I even almost missed a flight when I didn’t know that I had to show my ticket confirmation to the New Delhi airport entrance in order to get into the airport. I thought the online check-in would have been enough. PackPoint also sounds interest, I will check it out.

Arnav @ Eat, Travel, Live and REPEAT
    October 15, 2016 at 8:07 pm

A nice list of travel apps you have listed.I also use similar websites such as Tripadvisor, Uber, Google Maps.But am surely going to update my travel apps and install new ones as mentioned in this blog.

Vishal Vashisht
    October 15, 2016 at 11:59 pm

I didn’t know some of these apps existed. I am happy I came to this site to find valuable information. I will have some of these apps on my phone before my next trip.

Joe
    October 16, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Thanks for sharing these! I’ve got a couple of the above apps, but I also haven’t even heard of some of them and they sound great. Tripit sounds perfect for saving me all sorts of headaches with wondering where all my various bookings etc are, and Mint sounds like it could help me manage my finances a whole lot better than I currently do…

Prerna Malhan
    October 16, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Some of these apps I am actually using – Skyscanner, Uber and xe.com to name a few. Thanks for recommending some other great ones too. 😉

sabrina
    October 17, 2016 at 8:40 am

I have most of these apps, but I’m missing a couple that I will be downloading now! thanks for sharing! 🙂

Maggie
    October 17, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Love XE! Makes currency conversion a breeze. BTW you can use Google Maps offline once you download the map. Some I would add to this list are Hotel Tonight, Gate Guru and Hopper.

Michelle
    October 17, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Since I don’t travel that much, the only app I have in my phone that was in your list is Uber. It really is my hero especially when I have to go out with my baby and husband. Anyway, I love the list you made. Each one has a unique purpose. I find maps.me as the most useful especially if you’re fond of traveling to provinces with little or no telecommunication signal, it will be hard to get a decent wifi or data signal. It’s good that it works offline. The only thing is, it might be a phone storage eater, IMO. 🙂 because as you’ve said, the maps should be downloaded beforehand.

Maria
    October 17, 2016 at 6:31 pm

This is a helpful list to anyone that’s traveling. Though some apps need internet for it to work. Skyscanner is really helpful especially if you like to book flights online than calling agents or ticketing office. But, is Google Translate really good? I’ve heard some negative comments about it being not that entirely accurate with translations.

Nya
    October 17, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I can say that I use Google Translate, Uber and XE currency not only for travelling but also in a day life sometimes. I didn’t know the others. As they all look handy, I think Wi-Fi Finder is the one that I’ll definitely download. Also with google maps, you download the maps, that will be held for like a month or something, and that will work offline. But yeah, if you don’t plan, or just forgot, to download an area, maps.me will definitely be handy

Above Precious Rubies
    October 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm

What’s funny is, I don’t think I have any of these apps downloaded to my phone! LOL! On the other hand, we don’t really travel often but I’ll make sure to keep these list for any future use. We are hoping to visit HK when my husband comes home. He works abroad and is currently in Saudi Arabia on a 2-yr contract.

Sriparna
    October 19, 2016 at 5:48 am

So many apps I never was aware of.. I practically use Google Map, TripAdvisor and Zomato. That’s all I have needed so far for all my travelling… As far as Uber is concerned, if I am travelling in some remote areas, of course that’s not an option.. but yes, having a local sim connection, with network access, is a MUST for me 🙂

berlin domingo
    October 19, 2016 at 7:32 am

Of all the apps you’ve mentioned, I am very much interested in the Wi-Fi finder. Yes, I belong to the many who asked for internet connection. I do not have mobile data as well. I find this app interesting and helpful, same with the others mentioned. Uber is very helpful especially if we do not bring with us a transportation.

Tina and Jimmy
    October 19, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Liking the list of app! I’ve actually recently been looking for something like this! These apps definitely come in handy when your on the go. I didn’t realize there was a currency cover app and that will be on my list to download for sure!

Suma Jain
    October 22, 2016 at 10:08 am

Cannot ever travel without Google translate, XE and Rome2rio, they are my ultimate go-to apps. Need to try Packpoint and WAM, they look like life saviours for travellers. Definitely downloading Packpoint, it is going to be of great help while packing necessities. Thanks for the share :).

Liana
    October 23, 2016 at 11:00 am

I’m already using some of those apps, and they’re saving my life everyday when I’m abroad. Google Translate, Rome2Rio, Skyscanner and Uber, well they are the best. One I didn’t know about and that’s going to be such a great help is Wifi finder! That’s the dream actually!

Tatum Skipper
    October 23, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Awesome list! I have used a couple of these but not all. I find that when traveling to Europe, the GoEuro app really helps (similar to Rome2Rio). My favorite on this list that I would love to try is Food Spotting. I like that it has local food rather than maybe just a boring old Top 10. Uber is great abroad!! One other thing, although not an app is Tep Wireless! It’s your own wireless router that you carry around giving you unlimited wifi for only $10/day!

Christine
    October 24, 2016 at 3:59 am

Some fantastic apps that I will try. Some I already use, such as Trip It. I also use TripAdvisor and Zomato when I’m travelling.

Allison
    October 24, 2016 at 6:43 am

Some fantastic apps here. Yes yes yes to Skyscanner! And I’m an downloading Tripit now!

Courtney Jones
    October 24, 2016 at 8:36 am

Great collation of apps! I need to download Google Translate before my trip to Japan! Also, the wifi finder app looks pretty useful!

Tina and Jimmy
    October 24, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Love the google translate, I use frequently on my desktop but didn’t realize there was an app! These are all great app to use when on the road! Room to Rio is also a good one for those like me that are spontaneous and don’t always book a room ahead 🙂

Julie Cao
    October 24, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Uber is a great app and it sometimes cheaper than the local bus if you share it with friends. I have heard of Mint but have never used it, but I decide to download this app during my future travels as I always have trouble tracking my finance too. Google translate comes really handy 🙂

Brittany Hemming
    October 24, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Absolutely using some of these already like Uber and Rome2Rio. Bla Bla car is another good one, have you tried it? I can’t wait to download pack point and wifi finder. Great resources. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Janine Good
    October 24, 2016 at 10:50 pm

This is a great list. I find myself using the XE currency converter constantly as well as Google translate. I have never experience Uber but am looking forward to giving it a try at some stage. I will keep this list in mind for my next trip!

Rashmi and Chalukya
    October 25, 2016 at 11:55 am

We are sure almost all the travellers would be having at least couple of Apps you mentioned in your post. We love to plan our trip all on our own be it flight booking or exploring a city and definitely cannot go without these apps 🙂 And Google translate is like a travel mate we would always need it in a foreign land.

Ami
    October 25, 2016 at 3:59 pm

I have most of these apps except wifi finder. I gotta try that one. Thanks for the heads up. I also, have a few hotel review apps on my phone. Always helps 😀

prawnik gdansk
    November 24, 2016 at 10:02 am

The website looks fantastic !! Great job

akcesoria fryzjerskie Elbląg
    December 5, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I’m pretty pleased to find this site. I really appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your further posts. Thanks!

Jim
    December 16, 2016 at 2:39 am

I really like it when folks get together and share
    thoughts. Great website, stick with it!

Ellis Friscia
    December 19, 2016 at 10:36 am

Hey there Nice Article I am Really Implessed.

Minerva Greising
    December 19, 2016 at 10:43 am

Hey there Awesome Post. (I am keen to see more of the articles on this site.

Ryann Alsobrooks
    December 19, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Hi, I really like your Im looking forward to see more of the information on this website.

Rosalva Try
    December 19, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Hello, I really love your Article. (I am keen to explore more of the information on this website.

Harsh Gupta
    January 8, 2017 at 4:02 pm

You have listed some really amazing travel apps, some of which i use all the time, including Uber, XE and Skyscanner. Thanks for giving headsup on others too.

Katie
    January 8, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I always use XE! It is permanently open on my phone – when I am planning, when I am travelling, when I am exploring, when I am in a hotel working out how much we spent that day! Number 1 app everyone needs!

Amy
    January 8, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I’m all over google translate, and use it while we travel! Will check out Foodspotting and Rome2Rio!

Carla
    January 8, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Thank you! I love travelling and I’ll use some of these apps next time! 🙂

Sushmita
    January 8, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for the list!

Mommy Scene - Katie
    January 8, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Thanks for the travel app roundup! It can be hard to figure out what’s actually helpful from the app store.

Gypsy soul
    January 8, 2017 at 4:43 pm

I didn’t know some of these. Will check them out. Thank you for sharing.

Frank
    January 15, 2017 at 1:19 pm

very interesting list, i would love to try it!

Ahmed Gaber
    January 22, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Congratulations for that awesome topic Omniya, I loved it, it is very helpful. I really need some of these apps which I did not know that they even exist!